- Public relations played a huge role in the independence of America as the Boston Tea Party became a powerful publicity stunt.
- Throughout the 19th century, public relations was a key aspect of the population of the west.
- The 1800’s is when press agents began working within public relations
- Pseudoevent- a planned happening that occurs primarily for the purpose of being reported.
- Edward L. Bernays is the Father of Modern Public Relation
- There are 3 basic value orientations
- Absolute- believes that every decision is either right or wrong regardless of the consequences
- Existential- the extentialist, whose choices are not made in a prescribed value system, decides on the basis of immediate practical choice
- Situational- believes that each decision is based on what would cause the least harm or the most good
- The largest public relations organization is PRSA- the Public Relations Society of America
- VNR’s- video news releases