- The backbone to almost every publicity plan is a Press Release
- 55-97% of all news releases that are sent to media outlets are never used.
- News releases help achieve organizational objectives within a company
- Make sure you are formatting the news releases in the correct way:
10-12 standard point type
don’t split sentences or paragraphs between pages
Never hyphenate a word at the end of a line
Number the pages
- Types of news releases
- Announcements- personal appointments, promotions and changes, new products and services, etc.
- Spot Announcements- when things due to some outside action or influence happen to an organization, a spot news release may be in order
- reaction releases- used when an even has an impact on the specific organization
- bad news- confront issues, even if it may reflect badly on an organization
- Important parts of traditional news releases:
1. letterhead 2. contacts 3. headline 4. dateline 5. lead paragraph 6. body of text
Do’s and Don’ts for “Smart media release” (by Craig McGuire)
- Include links to pages where multiple instances of your key words/phrases reinforce your message
- Place terms in key positions like headlines and first paragraphs
- Distribute a release through a service that carries hyperlinks to downstream sites such as Yahoo! Finance, AOL News, and Netscape
- Go Link crazy. Too many links will confuse journalists and draw focus away from key messaging
- Use low-resolution images. Opt for high-resolution multimedia that can be easily used by layout pros
- Use all tools, all the time. Focus first on the message. Use bells and whistles to complement the campaign.