Crisis. Crisis is something that happens in everyone’s life, it is unavoidable. Crisis comes in all different forms, but what matters is not the actual crisis, but how you handle to the crisis, and how you respond to the different people affected by the crisis.
Most often, crisis come expectantly. If it were possible to avoid them, then we would! However, since this is not completely possible, the next to best thing to do is to be prepared for certain crisis, so that when they do hit, you are prepared. I found certain must-have elements in every crisis communication kit. They are as follows:
1. A list of members of the crisis management team: This allows you to be prepared and organized when a crisis hit. Instead of trying to chase down or organize the team after the crisis has occurred, the team should already be established, allowing them to get to work immediately.
2. Contact information for key officers, spokespeople, and crisis management team members: This proves that you are extra prepared for the crisis. Any phone numbers or information that you might need, you already will have prepared!
3. Fact sheets on the company, each division, each physical location, and each product offered: Have print outs and back ups of this just in case something happens to the original copy.
4. Pre-written scripts answering key questions that you have generated through your crisis scenario analysis: These will be very helpful as you are dealing with publication during a crisis. These could include things like “We do not have any information yet, but will let you know as soon as we do.” It’s never too early to be prepared with what you are going to say to reporters.
5. Contact information for each of your key media contacts both locally, nationally, and if appropriate, key financial press and analysts: You never know what you might need in a crisis. Go over board in preparing. If it seems unnecessary, keep preparing, because you will probably need it!
So there you have it. The best thing to remember when thinking about a crisis, is prepare in advance! Do not wait until something bad happens to prepare. You can be proactive NOW!!
Source: Crisis Kit