Source: Writing Tips
When you are writing a news release for your organization, or the organization that you are representing, you want to stand out to the reporter. You what them to notice YOUR news release, not anyone elses. Your writing needs to stand out among the others. I have come up with ten things to do to make your writing stand out among the others. Read ahead for tips on how to make your news releases effective.
1. Format- Make sure that your format is correct. Be sure to include the date, or embargo date, contact information, and of course, the actual body of the news release!
2. Headline- Make sure that your headline STANDS OUT. The headline of your news release should be catchy. Sell the benefits of your product in the headline, but make sure it is creative. You need to stand out among many other news releases that are being sent out.
3. newsworthy Make sure what you are writing about is worth of being in the news.
4. Double check Write your news release and set it aside for a day or so. Then, read through it the next morning, right before you are sending it off. Make it fresh in your mind.
5. history Do not include the entire history of your company. It is absolutely not necessary!
6. Start Strong Make sure the first paragraph is powerful, and maybe even dramatic. Catch the eye and attention of your reader, right off the bat.
7. Proclaim truth Stay truthful, stick to the facts and do not try to make your company or client look better than they actually are. If you feel like you have to add fluff to make it stand out, then you should wait for a more exciting story to share. It is not necessary to lie.
8. Use active, and not passive voice If you stay in the active voice, your press release will sound more lively.
9. Exclamation points DON”T USE THEM. period. If you feel the need to include exclamation points simply for hype, then the news must not be exciting in and of itself.
10. Get permission Make sure that you get permission for any quotes or information from the company.
So that’s all… follow these simple guidelines, and you are sure to get your information out in to the news quickly.