There are thousands of blogs that are just a click away on the World Wide Web. How overwhelming is that? And so, I think to myself, how can I make my little blog stand out in this pool of well-developed blogs? Well, there are many different ways to make your blog look unique, but just a unique looking blog will not make your writing stand out. Yes, it is important to have a blog that looks good, but it is even more important to have a blog that has good content. Along with good content comes good headers, something that is really important to the readers of your blog. Your headline of your post is going to be the first thing that readers look at, meaning you have about 1 second and a few words to draw your reader in and hook them. So, I have developed 10 things to ask yourself while you are developing headlines for digital media that will change your life, or at least your blogging life!
1. Does your headline relate to what your blog is discussing? Within this class, we will blog about several different topics, so it is easy to get into a rut and simple name each post TOW1 or TOW2. Don’t do it! At least some up with something that relates to the post and use that as the headline. Simply naming it TOW1 is boring, and honestly, a lot of times I won’t even read people’s post if that is all they name it.
2. Does your headline make you think? Try and make your headline something that will make the reader think, even if it is just a little bit. This will begin to draw them in and get them thinking about the topic you are about to expound on.
3. Is your headline creative? Part of the fun with blogging is being creative! Your headlines are the perfect opportunity to be creative, mix it up a little, and put the unexpected!
4. Is your headline funny? This doesn’t mean you should make every post contain a funny headline, but every now and then, humor can’t hurt!
5. Did you use spell check? Yes, it happens! Even the simplest words get misspelled often, and sometimes spell check doesn’t catch it! Want to convince people you are not a good writer before they even begin reading your blog? … Then misspell the headline!
6. Is your headline biased? It is okay to be argumentative in your blog posts, but be careful not to be too overly biased on certain things. This could easily turn people away, quickly, defeating your purpose of calmly convincing them of your viewpoints.
7. Does your personality show through your headlines? One of the greatest things about being a blogger is the fact that you are able to be yourself. Show who you are and what you believe in, and let your voice be seen.
8. Have you switched it up? Does every post look the same? BORING! Switch it up, it makes it more interesting for the readers.
9. Is your headline surprising? A great way to hook your readers is by making a headline with a startling statistic or surprising information. Perhaps it is the latest news that a lot of people have not heard about, or maybe it is a statistic that is not often discussed.
10. When you look at it, are you proud of what you created? Make sure your blog is something that you can be proud of! Spend time on it, making it look how you want it to look and sound the way that you want it to sound! Your blog is a reflection of you, so make sure it is how you want to be perceived!